Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Hungry Ocean, Linda Greenlaw

Change is good! Throw my mantra out the window regarding non-fiction books having to teach you something to be worthwhile ... at least for this book.

This book is great. I give Linda credit for recognizing that the Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger put the struggles and plights of swordfish fishing front-and-center in the public's eye and afforded Linda the opportunity to write this book to such public acclaim. But, whereas Junger had to use poetic license and speculate on what really happened to the Andrea Gail, Linda provides a first-hand account of the dynamics, highs and lows, and difficulty of being successful in the swordfishing trade.

In the end, I did learn something. I learned that I don't want to be on a swordfishing crew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home